Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Breaker

So I have found this AMAZING Korean manga called The Breaker.

It starts with a weak pushover boy named Shin-Woo who finds his new homeroom teacher displaying great power in a fight. Shin-Woo begs Chun-Woo, the teacher, to teach him how to be stronger, so he can protect himself and those he cares about. He finds determination and courage to make himself worthy of being trained by Chun-Woo. What he doesn't know is the dangers of the martial arts world he is about to enter, and that he is going to learn from the most dangerous and the best one there is!

I admit, normally I would be thrown off at first by a weak main character. But there is a lot of character growth in this manga as the boy learns about himself and those around him, and they in turn reveal more about themselves. It starts out a little slow, but after the first couple of chapters I couldn't stop reading it. And its helps that there are some good looking people in it...

For one thing, the other main character, Chun-Woo, is freakin HOT!! ahem.. I also really liked all the sub plot stuff going on. Its very relevant to the main story, pretty much intertwined and very much necessary, and gives background and interesting character development. There is some romance, which I looove. My favorite kind of manga(right now) is the kind with martial arts and a little bit of romance to spice things up.

This is set in modern Tokyo, and uses old school fighting martial arts methods. I really like stories that bring in legitimate, ancient practices that are well researched, developed, and explained, and then puts them in modern times.

The art is VERY well done. I have to say, Korean manga-ka's (Manga artists) do their art very well. You can definitely tell the difference. Korean is more detailed in some ways, more realistic and expressionistic in other ways. It is its own style, and an awesome one. Wish I had the words to fully express its awesomeness. How about you just go read it yourself? Then I wont have to.

There are several other important characters introduced as the story line progresses, and each one is unique and has special talents, gifts, abilities, techniques, styles, and personalities.

As of this post there are 63 chapters up.
*Spoiler-ish*

holy. crap. The last chapter??!!! INTENSE!!! This manga makes my heart race in anticipation every time I (figuratively) turn a page! The story weaves its way into your mind and for every battle or for every intense moment you are right there with them!

I am not good at summaries. I tend to make them really long and boring. So I wont go any farther than I have. Suffice it to say, if you like modern day setting with ancient martial arts techniques and styles, mixed with dangerous, bloody pasts and present, attractive characters, conflicted souls, determination and spirit, a nice portion of subtle romance(with some not so subtle in a couple places;) ) Then please do yourself a favor, kick back the old laptop(or desktop) and read this manga.

1 comment:

  1. I totally know what you're talking about, haha. I found "The Breaker" the other day and finished it recently, its incredible!!!

    Though the sequel is a little disappointing so far...

    ReplyDelete